If you’ve followed our blogs at all, you know we love easy breakfast options. Who really has the time in the morning to spend cooking breakfast, let alone a healthy one? While I am a complete advocate for eating breakfast, I don’t have time to make a spinach tomato vegan egg white omelet with a side of berries and a piece of whole wheat toast. Yes, that would be amazing. But that is completely unrealistic.
After a few mornings of trial and error, searching for my golden, quick, vegan-friendly breakfast option, I finally succeeded! And I can honestly say that I prefer this over any other breakfast.
What’s this magical breakfast I’m talking about? Overnight oats! Full of fiber, protein and just enough nutrients to get even the rainy Mondays started. What I love about overnight oats is how easy they are. Grab some mason jars, some rolled oats, some almond milk, a bit of vegan yogurt and you’ve got the basic overnight oats. Its simply as easy as adding the ingredients to the jar, and letting them sit in the fridge overnight.
Warm them up in the microwave, or enjoy them cold. Try the basic overnight oats or mix it up a bit with these variations. I promise your taste buds, and your inner mid-morning Grinch, will thank you.
Brown Sugar Banana Overnight Oats
• ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
• ½ cup almond milk
• 1 teaspoon chia seeds
• 2 teaspoons brown sugar (make sure it’s fresh and soft)
• ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 tablespoon peanut butter or almond butter
• ½ banana, sliced
• Additional brown sugar, for topping (optional)
1. In a jar or bowl, combine oats, milk, chia, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Stir until thoroughly combined and then cover and refrigerate overnight. Right before serving, stir in peanut butter or almond butter. Top with sliced bananas and an extra sprinkle of brown sugar. You can also serve it with a splash of milk, if desired.
High Protein Pumpkin Overnight Oats
• 2 oz. vegan yogurt
• 1 scoop vegan vanilla protein powder
• ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
• ¾ oz. oats
• 3 oz. canned pumpkin puree
• ¼ oz. shelled walnuts
• 1 tbsp. Stevia (the powdered version, not the extract)
• ½ tsp. cinnamon
• ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
• ¼ tsp. ginger
1. Blend yogurt, protein powder, and almond milk thoroughly together (if you don’t have a blender, this can be done by hand, but requires a little work with a whisk)
2. Add oats, pumpkin, and spices to the wet ingredients
3. Mix thoroughly and place in the fridge overnight
4. Sprinkle walnuts on top and enjoy
Vegan Brownie Batter Protein Overnight Oats
• 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or low fat milk of choice)
• 1/2 cup Plain low fat Greek yogurt (or mashed banana, or pumpkin)
• 2 tbs Unsweetened cocoa powder (or more, to taste)
• 1/8 tsp Salt
• 2 tbs Baking stevia (or 1/4 cup sweetener that measures like sugar)
• 1 cup Old fashioned oats
• 1/4 cup Protein powder (or additional oats)
In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients together. Divide between 2 small bowls, mugs, or mason jars. Cover and refrigerate overnight (or for at least an hour (or more) so the oats soften and absorb the liquid). Top with chopped nuts or topping of choice if desired! Enjoy cold, or microwave for 30-60 seconds to enjoy warm!
1 Reply to "You Haven’t Had Breakfast if you Haven’t Tried Overnight Oats"
Anna March 19, 2017 (11:50 pm)